miniupnp.tuxfamily.org Forum Index miniupnp.tuxfamily.org
The forum about miniupnp and libnatpmp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allow specifying UPnP Server/Internet Gateway Device

Post new topic   Reply to topic    miniupnp.tuxfamily.org Forum Index -> miniupnpd Feature Request
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kryptobs2000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Allow specifying UPnP Server/Internet Gateway Device Reply with quote

I see this has been brought up before, at least in other ways such as 'router cascading' and 'multiple layers of routers,' but I haven't seen a reason why it is not possible yet other than that it may be against the standard, but it's definitely implementation independent: http://toor.do/upnp.html

As far as I see that doesn't say how to implement it, but I would assume it's as simple as setting the proper destination ip address on the UPnP packet. Whether the router forwards it is up to how it's implemented. Miniupnp is a tool by description, it should allow basic modifications such as this. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, that's what error checking and verification is for. I'm not sure if this is possible with C, but I haven't been able to find the ability with the python module or the upnpc client.

If you wanted to extend the functionality further you could allow the user to specify a number of levels deep to attempt forwarding and implement a method such as traceroute to determine the likely IGD's, or allow a list of ips and send it to them all. That would take a lot more work though, and I don't even have a use for it myself, but without seeing the source code to look at I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to allow the functionality of specifying the IGD/UPnP Server/destination address.

I use this as a admin tool for easy cli port management as well as a way to forward via python scripts, but it's annoying those times when I have to go to the external router and connect to it directly despite being able to manipulate it from within. Our internal router uses ddwrt which afaik does not allow this, so I'm not sure if it'd help me anyhow, but still thought it'd be worth implementing. Thanks for listening, I'm interested in your thoughts on this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    miniupnp.tuxfamily.org Forum Index -> miniupnpd Feature Request All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: