miniupnp.tuxfamily.org Forum Index miniupnp.tuxfamily.org
The forum about miniupnp and libnatpmp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passing UPnP Port Forward requests to parent router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    miniupnp.tuxfamily.org Forum Index -> miniupnpd Feature Request
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AgentME

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Passing UPnP Port Forward requests to parent router Reply with quote

I have a router running OpenWRT (Kamikaze 8.9.1 on a WRT54GL), with the IP address of 192.168.2.1 and several devices wired to it. This router's wireless is set to act as a client to a wifi network, which is hosted by my second router (one of the newer WRT54G models that's locked to the Linksys firmware) that has an IP of 192.168.1.1.

The Linksys router has UPnP enabled, and my OpenWRT has UPnP provided by the miniupnpd_1.1-5 package.

Either router by itself supports UPnP port forwarding correctly. If I hook up my Xbox 360 to my linksys router, it detects it as an "Open" NAT (non-restrictive firewall with successful UPnP port forwarding) and functions correctly. (I've also confirmed this with some online port testers.)
If I hook up my Xbox 360 to my OpenWRT router (which is then wirelessly connected as a client to my Linksys router), it detects it as an Open NAT, because I assume the UPnP port forwarding request to my OpenWRT router worked, but it doesn't function completely correctly because my Linksys router isn't forwarding the ports too. If I make the Linksys router forward the needed ports to my OpenWRT router, it works fine.

What would be perfect would be if when my Xbox 360 requests a port forwarding from my OpenWRT router, that my OpenWRT router also requested the same port to be forwarded from the Linksys router (and if the forwarding failed on the Linksys router, it would also fail on the OpenWRT router).

Could such a feature be implemented, or at least tell me any useful things to know so I might do it myself? Or maybe there's some very simple way of setting up the network so this isn't necessary? (A way that doesn't involve wiring the routers together, as that would completely miss the point of me using one of the routers as a wireless adapter for the xbox.)

It's not terribly important to me, as I'm mainly using my OpenWRT router like this out of curiosity while I set it up to replace my Linksys router.
miniupnp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making your setup work would need to include a UPnP CLIENT into miniupnpd... that is possible but not very usefull generaly.

I think you should configure the WRT54G which is connected to the XBox in Access point or repeater Mode, not in Router mode... I think that is possible with the stock linksys firmware (but i'm not sure).
AgentME

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniupnp wrote:
Making your setup work would need to include a UPnP CLIENT into miniupnpd... that is possible but not very usefull generaly.

Surely it could be possibly to just optionally try to use the external client library if this option were used? I'm not too experienced with how libraries work.

miniupnp wrote:
I think you should configure the WRT54G which is connected to the XBox in Access point or repeater Mode, not in Router mode... I think that is possible with the stock linksys firmware (but i'm not sure).

As far as I can tell, access point mode requires that the router be wired to the main router and the clients connect to it wirelessly, which is the exact opposite of what I was doing (clients are wired openwrt router, which wirelessly connects to the main router). Repeater mode just retransmits wireless signals, with no wired connections.

I would think that this type of feature could also be useful for open source Internet Connection Sharing programs. For example, Gnome NetworkManager on Ubuntu currently supports ICS (set a connection type to be "Shared to other users") but it doesn't do anything with UPnP port forward requests, but if it had miniupnp and this feature, it would work perfectly.
miniupnp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AgentME wrote:
miniupnp wrote:

Surely it could be possibly to just optionally try to use the external client library if this option were used? I'm not too experienced with how libraries work.

That is some work...

AgentME wrote:
miniupnp wrote:

As far as I can tell, access point mode requires that the router be wired to the main router and the clients connect to it wirelessly, which is the exact opposite of what I was doing (clients are wired openwrt router, which wirelessly connects to the main router). Repeater mode just retransmits wireless signals, with no wired connections.

Isn't there a "client" mode on WRT54G which does no routing but only connects to a wifi network ?

In fact you would need a Wifi Ethernet Bridge such as the WET54G or the WET610N. But the WRT54G should have "bridge" mode.
autobot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What revision is your router you believe to not be openwrt compatible?
MOR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: UPnP proxy = Passing UPnP Port Forward requests to parent ro Reply with quote

Hello, I am adding a +1 to this request.

I have the same need, with a Netgear WNR3500L running Tomato (in which there is miniupnpd) attached to an ADSL router Netgear DG834G for the "WAN" side.
The DG834G runs NAT and all stuff.
The WNR3500L acts as a simple router, with the assigned function of fine grained QoS control which the DG834G can't do.
The WNR3500L (and tomato) can't do ADSL ... and I can't use pppoe relay between the two since I have devices directly attached to the DG834G.
I need devices behind the WNR3500L tomato to open ports on the DG834G.

I found something doing it on the net, named portproxy -> http://klub.com.pl/portproxy/
but this is currently not inside tomato.
I suppose I could look at adding it, however I would have to do so at each new tomato release .. quite cumbersome.

Any chance that miniupnpd does the same one day, or even integrates portproxy ?

Thanks, MOR.
SystemR89

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for this feature!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    miniupnp.tuxfamily.org Forum Index -> miniupnpd Feature Request All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: