miniupnp.tuxfamily.org Forum Index miniupnp.tuxfamily.org
The forum about miniupnp and libnatpmp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WS-Discovery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    miniupnp.tuxfamily.org Forum Index -> miniupnpd Feature Request
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobleponge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: WS-Discovery Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if you're planning to support UPnP v2, aka WS-Discovery ?
It's supported in Vista and later, so it might worth the effort.

WS-Discovery is also based on SOAP, with 4 methods, so I guess it's not that hard (ahem... once you've written the whole stuff in upnp already).
GurliGebis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't make sense here, since miniupnpd just implements the IGD profile for UPnP.

From what I know, you cannot use WS-Discovery to create portmappings in any firewalls.
WS-Discovery is only for finding stuff on the network Smile
miniupnp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact two things are implemented in Miniupnpd regarding UPnP :
The SSDP discovery protocol, and the IGD (Internet gateway device) end-point. (control point ?)

I dont know if WS-Discovery is used to replace SSDP in order to find IGD control points.
bobleponge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was speaking about the upnp client not server.
I'm using upnp for device detection on the network, and as more and more device are using WS-Discovery, I was thinking this would really simplify my life if miniupnp worked with WS-Discovery too.

BTW, miniupnp isn't limited to IGD, hopefully. It detects my printer, my camera, and all the other stuff I never remember what are their IP.
miniupnp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobleponge wrote:
Yes, I was speaking about the upnp client not server.
I'm using upnp for device detection on the network, and as more and more device are using WS-Discovery, I was thinking this would really simplify my life if miniupnp worked with WS-Discovery too.

BTW, miniupnp isn't limited to IGD, hopefully. It detects my printer, my camera, and all the other stuff I never remember what are their IP.

Well miniupnpc is detecting all UPnP devices through the usage of SSDP protocol. But it can only control IGD. It could be extended to control more devices but that's another problem.
bobleponge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not asking to control more devices.
I'm wondering if the WS-Discovery protocol could be added to the initial upnpDiscover step.
I'm not using anything except the result of upnpDiscover (and the returned linked list, of course).

As UPNP almost equal to WS-Discovery, in terms of required software tool, I was asking how much work would it require to add this (in short, when calling upnpDiscover, it would perform UPNP discovery, and then WS-Discovery)

The returned results will be useless for controlling them, but the goal is to know what IP a particuliar device use, and not to control it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    miniupnp.tuxfamily.org Forum Index -> miniupnpd Feature Request All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: