miniupnp.tuxfamily.org Forum Index miniupnp.tuxfamily.org
The forum about miniupnp and libnatpmp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Support for interfaces that have no ip address

Post new topic   Reply to topic    miniupnp.tuxfamily.org Forum Index -> miniupnpd Feature Request
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colinmcfarlane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Support for interfaces that have no ip address Reply with quote

The SSDP part of miniupnpd is not able to receive multicast packets on interfaces that have no IP address. This is because without an ip address there is no reverse path and so the packets are dropped by the kernel at the first routing decision (I think). They are available in the PREROUTING stages of mangle and raw but (not nat as multicast packets dont get natted by the kernel).

If for example you have a server running chillispot and miniupnpd then the ethernet interface that chilli uses as the dhcpif cannot receive any multicast M-SEARCH packets and so the client fails to find the IGD. This is a problem with XBOX 360 which appears to only work with M-SEARCH and ignores the multicast NOTIFY packets that miniupnpd sends out. This causes the XBOX to treat the sever as Moderate NAT instead of open.

I have a version of miniupnpd that adds support for receiving multicast packets via NFQUEUE which it then handles as normal. This fixes the problems with XBOX 360.

If there is any appetite to have this added to the mainline code of miniupnpd then I will spend some time making it more generic than it currently is (for example I hard code the queue number).

So is there any interest in this?
miniupnp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes !
colinmcfarlane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Support for interfaces that have no ip address Reply with quote

I have 2 patch files that incorporate all the changes necessary for this. What's the best way of getting them to you?
miniupnp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

email, you should be able to find the adress on the website.
miniupnp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see miniupnpd-1.4.20100921.tar.gz.
I integrated your patch but it still need some work to compile without problem with all versions of netfilter/iptables.
to be continued...
colinmcfarlane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Unable to compile on later versions of iptables Reply with quote

To try and resolve this I have been trying to build miniupnpd with the following combinations:
iptables later v1.3.7, 1.4.3, & 1.4.10
libnetfilter vn 0.0.15 & 1.0.0
libnfnetlink 0.0.30 & 1.0.0

I am using a smoothwall 3 development server since this is the target platform for my installations. Smoothwall is currently on iptables 1.3.7. and I have struggled to get that to update to a later version with the other 2 libraries.

If I have spare time I will try to build this on a different development server but until then I would probably recommend backing out the patch to prevent others from hitting any compilation issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    miniupnp.tuxfamily.org Forum Index -> miniupnpd Feature Request All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: